Since my 35th high school reunion was scheduled for two days in late August in mid-western Pennsylvania, I decided to make it into a 20 day vacation--'cause why wouldn't I?
Click on any thumbnail to take you to a larger picture with caption.
Each picture has next/previous links to take you through the entire vacation. Cheers, Sam
Day One - Thu 8/15/13 - Laundry and packing at home
Day Two - Fri 8/16/13 - Fly to St. Louis (via Phoenix), visit the City Museum
Day Three - Sat 8/17/13 - Go to Six Flags St. Louis - eight coasters ridden
Day Four - Sun 8/18/13 - Drive to Gurnee (north of Chicago), visit the Volo Auto Museum on the way
Day Five - Mon 8/19/13 - Go to Six Flags Great America - eight coasters ridden
Day Six - Tue 8/20/13 - Drive to Sandusky, visit RV/Motorhome Hall of Fame and old Pennsylvania friend on the way
Days Seven & Eight - Wed-Thu 8/21-22/13 - Go to Cedar Point - 14 coasters ridden
Day Nine - Fri 8/23/13 - Drive to St. Marys Pennsylvania, go to laundromat, attend 35th reunion Kegger!
Day Ten - Sat 8/24/13 - Visit friends, attend St. Marys Area High School Class of '78 reunion Dinner & Dance
Day Eleven - Sun 8/25/13 - Drive to Vaughn, Ontario, visit Niagara Falls Canada on the way
Day Twelve - Mon 8/26/13 - Go to Canada's Wonderland - 14 coasters ridden
Day Thirteen - Tue 8/27/13 - Drive to Levittown Pennsylvania, meet up with brother & sister-in-law
Day Fourteen - Wed 8/28/13 - Go to Six Flags Great Adventure then drive to Glen Rock, PA - 10 coasters ridden
Days Fifteen-Seventeen - Thu-Sat 8/29-31/13 - Drive to Statesville, North Carolina and hang with my family
Day Eighteen - Sun 9/1/13 - Drive to Nashville, pack my suitcase for flight home
Day Nineteen - Mon 9/2/13 - Drive to St. Louis in time to fly back to Albuquerque (via Dallas), unpack
Day Twenty - Tue 9/3/13 - Do laundry, grocery shop, rest up to go back to work (sigh)
Recap and Observations:
- Eighteen days on the road plus a day pre & post to rest.
- Flew ~3100, drove 3431, and walked 141.1 miles (310,414 steps on the pedometer)
- Traveled through eleven states and one Canadian province
- Bought lottery tickets in eight states, didn't win a dime
- Visited five amusement parks (four for the first time), three museums, and one natural wonder
- Rode 54 rollercoasters including Kingda Ka, the tallest in the world, fastest in the US (456 feet/128 mph)
- Added 45 new rollercoasters to the database of the 238 rollercoasters I've ridden in my lifetime
- Got to see ~50 classmates, all my living relatives less my two nephews, and the Peanuts & Looney Tunes gangs
- Visits to McDonalds:13, Gas Stations:12, Toll Booths:10, Choice Hotels:6, Walmart:6, Pizza Hut:5, ...
- I'm officially too fat to ride a coaster: couldn't buckle the seat belt on Wicked Twister at Cedar Point
- I'm officially too fat to have stood sideways in the reunion classmates photo
- Paid for gas: as little as $3.12/gallon in Virginia and as much as $3.82/gallon in New York
- Was only 15 miles away from Dollywood and didn't stop--perhaps there is hope for my disease...
- Don't trust Garmin's Points of Interest: Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers and Antique shops are all someone's house!
- Time spent crossing the border into Canada: 30 seconds; time spent crossing the border into USA: 35 minutes
Other photo galleries
Alaskan Inside Passage Cruise (2017) |
China via Los Angeles (2017) |
Iceland via Denver (2017) |
New England Fall Foliage Tour (2016) |
Mexican Riviera Cruise (2016) |
Panama Canal Trip (2016) |
Trip to the Rose Parade (2015-2016) |
East Coast Rollercoaster Extravaganza (2013) |
Sam & Peter's Europe Trip (2008)
"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened." Dr. Suess
Contact me: Sam Cancilla, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Modified: September 21, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Sam Cancilla. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.